Monday 1 September 2008

Ely - 29th August

After popping into work during my holiday I was offered some time in-lieu.. so had Friday afternoon off, and made a random choice to head West (ish). A gentle winding route, down the B1108 to Watton, turning right up the B1077 through Saham Toney towards Swaffham. Turning right at the end of the B1077 then left into beachamwell Road, and left along Cley Road through Cockley Cley, Gooderstone, Oxborough to Stoke Ferry where I turned right onto the A134. At the roundabout after a mile I turned left towards Wissington and, eventually Southery. Meeting the A10, Ely was signposted, so an easy ride down to Ely.
First stop - the riverside. It wasn't the first place I went to Ely, but I do believe that the centre of Ely can give Hampton Court Maze a run for its money.
A slow walk along the embankment led me to a nice coffee shop. This is the view from the patio
Having parked near the quay, I had to go get an ice-cream, too. You may notice that that's my bike .. the ice-cream had been eaten by the time I'd got my camrea out!
I rode up into the city and eventually found this parking space. It was hot and I was wearing leathers so I decided not to walk anywhere but take photos of wha I could see from here.
I feel a children's programme moment coming on.. "Through the arched window" ..
And a little way along was the leaning cathedral of Ely
After which I had a gentle ride to the White Swan in Great Yarmouth. I had to stop in Mildenhall to scrounge an allen key from a garage to tighten up my right mirror. Then, even on the bike, the traffic was horrendous with long queues of stationary traffic - and solid white lines so I had to sit in the queues for some distance. Grrr.

No comments: