Sunday 24 June 2007

France 2007 Day 2

Bellac - to get to this part of the town needed careful navigation through the small, narrow back-streets. Or, in my case, a random sequence of turns.


Streets such as this one..


And why don't we have places with names like this?


Mind ... I think they'd be better off washing their dishes instead of fly-tipping. I think this may be Limoges ...


in the middle of nowhere ... a community hall / hut where I stopped to grab a bite to eat. You'll notice that the weather is somewhat inclement and had been, on and off, for the last two hours. It was about to get worse.


I prepared for temperatures down to 15 degrees centigrade and mostly showers. During the next three hours the temperature went down to around 9 degrees and the rain was, as they say, persistent. You'll also notice the trees bending from the wind. Neither my gloves nor my boots were more than shower proof - my Frank Thomas Aqua pack even leaked, leaving me with damp leathers. Slowly, cver-so-slowly I became cold, miserable and exhausted. With predictable results.

So, I made it to Aurillac about 5.30pm: tired and, frankly, pissed off ...

I found a Campanile hotel booked myself in and sat in a hot bath to rejuvenate myself. An hour later, feeling little better but, at least, warm, (although the rain was still lashing down) I walked to the restaurant and grabbed a bite to eat. There I found the staff helpful and, heaven sent, able to converse in English. A real fillip.