Sunday 24 June 2007

France 2007 Day 3

I set off. My aim to reach Clermont Ferand. The weather was a little better but I needed to get away from the Campanile hotel... While the staff were helpful and friendly the place was dingy and I needed to find somewhere to lift my spirits. Clermont Ferand is well known and I hoped to find something there.

The weather got steadily worse with temperatures dropping. My chosen route was to be through a tunnel where I hoped to shelter and gain some temporary respite. It was not to be. The tunnel was closed for roadworks and I had to go over the mountain pass. I watched the temperature gauge slowly descend to 3 degrees. I was wearing sodden summer gloves and my feet were soaked through. I took one photograph all day. This at Le Loiran. 4,000 feet above sea level and still at 3 degrees C. And I needed a pee (duly taken into a deserted ski resort gravel bed).



A little while later I saw a cafe with bikes outside. I stopped for a coffee - possibly the best decision of the week. There I befriended a scottish couple, Phil and Shona. What a great couple they were. I asked if I could follow them to Clermont, which the were happy for me to do. As we descended off the mountain the sun came out and the roads dried. I didn't. I was still soaked through.. but at least I was warmer. Phil found some good roads and we enjoyed a brisk ride.

We booked in to an Etap hotel (who have, I have since discovered, charged me for two nights. Refund pending), freshened up and went for a stroll and had a pleasant meal at a local restaurant. Phil. If you read this, get in touch. I still owe you some money for the meal.

The next photo's are from day 4 when, at last, you'll notice that the sun has come out. They're here to show the possible consequences of riding while exhausted. I was fortunate that there was nothing coming the other way as I slid down the road...




PS. If anyone has a spare RH crankcase cover for a 1998 Honda VFR800Fi